Lions Club Seychelles inducts new members |13 July 2021
• Clubs get various awards
New members of the Lions Club of Seychelles were officially inducted and sworn in during an online ceremony via zoom on Saturday.
The new chairperson for the Lionistic year 2021-2022 is AbulKalam Azad; the secretary is Shapoor Yeganegi and the treasurer is Suresh Babu. New members inducted to Lions Club of Seychelles are Dr Satish, Dr Jaganathan, Dr Natarajan, Dr Dhanjee, Mr Pushparaj, May Malcouzane, Dushyant Pandya, Vijay Pandya and Masud Rana.
Another major achievement for Seychelles is the appointment of Dr Sasikumar as the chairperson for Region E (comprising Seychelles and Mombasa) and Lion Uma Ramani as the zone chairperson for Region E (Seychelles only).
The event started off with the customary Lions roar followed by a Lions toast in which a toast was proposed to the health of the President of the Republic of Seychelles, Wavel Ramkalawan, and to the international lions clubs.
In his acceptance speech, Dr Sasikumar explained that one of his main roles as Region chairperson is to promote and encourage unity among clubs and his focus will be on service , membership growth and retention, clubs expansion and leadership development.
“My main vision for this year will be on Leadership development and strengthening and development of the club and formation of new clubs. And the training program will be conducted virtually for Lions of Seychelles by an International trainer along with the cooperation of district 411A. As a leader of the region, I support quality clubs within the zone and I ensure that clubs meet the needs of both their members and their communities.”
He will also monitor the health and status of the clubs in the Zone and they assist clubs in status quo or financially suspended to return to good standing.
Dr Sasikumar affirmed that he will do his best for the betterment of the service in Lionism by keeping our Seychelles flag to fly more at the district as well as at the International level. We will have to live with our motto in mind: ‘We Serve One Aim, One Goal, One Vision’.”
The new Zone chair for Region E Seychelles, Uma Ramani added that “Lions in Seychelles have been delivering consistently. Each club has been focusing on specialised areas: Lions Club of Seychelles – Vision Projects & Bus Shelter; SCWLC – School gardens and national spelling bee; MJF – Mobile medical van, blood donation camps and RLS – partnered with other NGOs and organisations to work on mangrove plantations, ocean clean-ups.
“We are creating a legacy slowly but steadily. My goal this year is to have a more united front and assist clubs attain their goals by encouraging more sustainable projects which will have an impact on the community in the long run.”
Outgoing president of Lions Club of Seychelles, Reggie Jayasen, addressed all present, welcoming all to the installation ceremony of Lion Year 2021-22 and noted that even during the pandemic situation, the Lions Club of Seychelles was able to accomplish all its goals. It also received the best award for Diabetes and Vision in the District.
Following his speech, Lion Reggie presented the newly inducted president Lion Abul Kalam Azad with the gavel and necklace customarily worn by the president of the Lions Club. The message of the new President was read by the secretary. He expressed his gratitude to all who have placed their trust in him and entrusted him as the president.
Outgoing zone chair Karpagam Senthil Kumar also made a speech in which she thanked all those who had helped her fulfill her duty.
Activities done in the year 2020-2021
1. Bus shelter opening at cascade
2. Diabetic food hampers donation to diabetic patients of North region
3. Vision screening and delivery of glasses to Plaisance elderly home
4. Diabetic awareness talk to the club members
5. Mega exhibition on diabetes at Beau Vallon community centre
6. Donation of wheel chairs to Mahé, Praslin and La Digue – nationwide donation
7. Vision screening and delivery of glasses for La Retraite home for the elderly
8. Donation of food hampers to Poverty Alleviation department
9. Donation of sanitary napkins
Awards received for the year 2020-2021
The following awards were received by Lions of Seychelles for the Lionistic year 2020 - 2021 from the Multiple District 411 A
1. Best club secretary – Lion Janani Krishna Moorthy (Rising Lions Club)
2. Best club treasurer award – Lion Poon Chudar Pillay (Rising Lions Club)
3. Diabetes – Excellence award and plaque / international president pin – District Officer Lion Dr Sassikumar
4. Zone chair – International leadership medal and pin with Excellence plaque –Lion Karpagam Senthilkumar
5. Sight first – Lions Club of Seychelles
6. Vision – Lions Club of Seychelles
7. Publicity print – Lions Club and Centennial Women Club
8. Blood drive – Melvin Jones Foundation (MFJ) and Centennial Women Club
9. Cancer – Melvin Jones Foundation (MJF)
10. Publicity TV – Lions Club
11. Diabetes – Lions Club
12. Environment – Centennial Women
13. Best reporting - Rising Lions