Productivity best practice |08 April 2021
Productivity consciousness is very important, indeed especially to us Seychellois, at this point in our history of socio-economic exploration. Productivity to our nation is very important. It is a determinant factor of our country’s standard of living and it is a main source of national income. We all share the responsibility for improvement of productivity in workplaces in order for us to secure a strong and balanced economic growth. To ensure effectiveness, today’s organisations have to be smart and efficient.
Productivity improvement and the effective and efficient use of available resources is indeed, the only way for future development in any society. Productivity improvement results in direct increases in the standard of living under conditions of distribution of productivity gains according to contribution.
What is Work?
Work is the means through which most people are able to feed, clothe and shelter themselves and it fulfill many needs. It consists of self-actualisation, the desire to realize long-term personal, professional and financial goals.
Work is the expression of each person’s unique role in contributing something back to culture and society. It creates structure and meaning in our lives, affords us the sense of accomplishment, provides income, security and affords us the chance to socialise with colleagues.
Preparation to enter the world of work
- Prepare for your interview by reviewing what questions to expect and how to answer them e.g. your personal strengths and reason why you are the best person for the job
- Dress and present yourself appropriately
- Arrive on time, or even early. Ideal to make it to the interview 5-10 minutes early
- Answer questions fully. Do not just say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’
- Ask questions – this demonstrates your interest in the position
- Speak clearly and calmly. Do not get too emotional
- Maintain eye contact when talking to your interviewer
Contributed by the Productivity Unit, Ministry of Employment & Social Affairs