Follow us on:

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube


Football: SeyPearl Premier league |11 November 2019

A weekend of draws


The weekend matches mostly ended in draws with goals at a premium. League leaders La Passe shared the spoils in a goalless draw with Red Star Defence Forces at Stad Linite on Saturday afternoon while at the Amitié playing field, reigning league champions Côte D’Or came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw with St Louis.

On Friday at Stad Linite, Northern Dynamo were held to a goalless draw by Revengers. The only team to win this weekend was Anse Reunion who defeated LightStars 2-0 at the L’Union playing field on Saturday.


Red Star Defence Forces share the points with La Passe

SeyPearl league leaders La Passe travelled to Mahé to face struggling Red Star Defence Forces and both teams had chances to collect all three points at Stad Linite on Saturday afternoon in very cloudy and damp conditions.

La Passe though had a gift in the opening minute from a mistake by the army team defender Andrew Onezia who lost the ball to Malagasy Florent who in turn fed Brandon Fanchette but the young striker shot wide.

In the 14th minute, La Passe again had a clear chance when Brandon Fanchette played the ball over Red Star Defence Forces captain Darrel Lesperance to Florent who was clean through but he lofted the ball over the crossbar as he attempted to lob goalie Danny Larue, much to the frustration of his bench.

Red Star Defence Forces also should have made the most of a counter in the 33rd minute led by Marcus Maria who set up the overlapping Errol Bacco but he shot in the side netting.

La Passe was not happy with referee Darrio Landry in the 41st minute as they thought they should have been awarded a penalty from Stan Fanchette’s corner which was met by Dylan Jupiter’s header and it appeared to hit the arm of a Red Star Defence Forces player but the official was not convinced.

The league leaders should have broken the deadlock on the stroke of half time from Gervais Saminaden’s through ball to Florent who was in the clear but with goalie Larue way off his line, Florent’s tame shot flashed across the army team’s goalmouth for a goalless first period.

Red Star Defence Forces started strongly in the second half and in the 53rd minute, Aubrey Farabeau picked out Darrel Damoo with a pinpoint cross but the striker headed wide.

Damoo was again guilty of a bad miss in the 57th minute from Marcus Maria’s perfectly weighted pass over the La Passe defence but goalie Dave Mussard stopped him in his stride with a good block.

In the 63rd minute, Red Star Defence Forces was denied a blatant penalty when the ball dropped on La Passe defender Kenny Constance’s arm after Malagasy Tojo’s corner had caused problems in the La Passe penalty area but sadly the official waved play on.

La Passe’s Ugandan midfielder Benson Gedeon Brown fluffed the best chance for his team in the 68th minute from Stan Fanchette’s inswinging corner which goalie Larue failed to reach as he got entangled in a crowded penalty area and the ball fell invitingly to him but he fired wide with the goal at his mercy as the two teams had to settle for a share of the points though the La Passe coach, Bruno Saindini, was disappointed with his team’s approach to this match.

“We did not take things seriously for this match as we had very good chances to score but we were too casual and this resulted in us dropping points and I’m very disappointed with the performance of the players,” coach Saindini told Sports NATION.

As for the Red Star Defence Forces manager Philip Barbe, he was pleased with the result in a match where he felt his team had the upper hand.

“This result shows that our team is improving after a bad start to the season and today we controlled the match and had very good chances to win but still I must congratulate my players for their performance,” the Red Star Defence Forces manager said.


Côte D’Or draw against St Louis


The reigning league champions Côte D’Or had to battle back from a goal down at half time to draw 1-1 with St Louis at the Amitié playing field on Saturday afternoon in a match where three players were sent off.

The central Mahé team made a bright start when they scored early courtesy of a strike by Malagasy midfielder Tahiry for a 1-0 score at the interval.

Côte D’Or though were awarded a penalty in the 82nd minute after St Louis defender Juninho Mathiot had fouled Malagasy Kassah in the box and referee Kerens Yocette pointed to the spot where Kassah slotted the ball past goalie Michel to make it 1-1.

The game flared up though in the 88th minute after Collin Bibi took offence for a foul by Malagasy Jonas on him who was booked and the resulting commotion saw punches flying before calm was restored after play was held up for several minutes.

Referee Yocette then dished out a straight red card to Bibi for violent conduct and Juninho Mathiot and Côte D’Or’s Oliver Bonte were also expulsed for fighting which was sad as this match was quite interesting but it ended on a bad note.


Anse Reunion shock LightStars


La Digue outfit Anse Reunion surprised LightStars in a 2-0 victory at the l’Union playing field on Saturday afternoon.

After a goalless first half, the players of coach Basil Hoareau netted twice through Dieter Constance to collect three vital points.


Dynamo held by Revengers


Northern Dynamo was left frustrated as they could only manage a 0-0 draw against Revengers at Stad linite on Friday afternoon.

Dynamo was keen to bounce against struggling Revengers especially after their thrashing by St Michel last week but Revengers stood defiant especially goalie and captain Gino Melanie who kept them at bay and the Revengers coach Neddy Rose was full of praise for his goalkeeper who earned them a crucial away point.



More news