Follow us on:

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube


Football: SeyPearl Premier league |08 November 2019

Victoria City beat Au Cap in bottom-of-table battle


Victoria City came from behind to beat Au Cap 3-1 at Stad Linite on Wednesday afternoon in the SeyPearl Premier League to move off the foot of the table and push their opponent to the basement.

Au Cap got off to a flying start against City who started this match at the bottom of the league standings as they went ahead in the 4th minute from a pinpoint cross from their captain, Ghanaian Emmanuel Armah to his countryman Jonas Baffoe who thumped the ball past goalkeeper Randolph Bijoux for a 1-0 lead.

Au Cap missed a great chance to extend their advantage in the 20th minute from Carlos Andre’s inch-perfect cross to Medrick Jean-Baptiste who headed straight at goalkeeper Bijoux from a good scoring position.

On the half hour mark, City had a gilt-edge opportunity from Heidy Labrosse’s curling corner which was met by Eddy Bistoé’s glancing header which sailed agonisingly wide.

Au Cap though carried more danger and in the 34th minute, Baffoe picked up Thierry Camille’s cross to bore on goal but he shot across the City goalmouth.

Baffoe had an even better chance on the stroke of half-time when he sprung City’s offside trap to surge on goal but goalkeeper Bijoux raced out of his goal in a flash to stop him in his stride with a fantastic last-gasp tackle to keep the score at 1-0 score at half-time.

City’s interim coach Gerald Gonthier, who is being assisted by Gavin Jeanne, replaced the injured goalkeeper Bijoux with Ritchie Dubel, while Kelly Nibourette came in for Abdoul Jumaye in the second half.

City levelled matters with only two minutes after the restart from a terrible mistake by Au Cap substitute defender Jean-Yves Joseph whose poor back pass was not well cleared by goalkeeper Christopher Legaie and the ball fell to City’s veteran striker Roy Julie who accepted the windfall to tap into an empty net to make it 1-1.

Nibourette should have put City in the lead in the 48th minute from Heidy Labrosse’s superb pass over the Au Cap defence but the former St Louis striker went for power instead of finesse and his shot was turned into corner by goalkeeper Legaie when he could have easily lofted the ball over the Au Cap custodian who was way off his line.

On the hour mark, Eddy Bistoé played a brilliant through ball to Labrosse who sprinted past the Au Cap defence to plant the ball low into the net for a 2-1 score.

City were now in control and in the 70th minute, Nelleri Maillet threaded a pass to Labrosse who looked odds to score as he beat Au Cap’s offside trap but goalkeeper Legaie just managed to deflect the City forward’s shot into corner.

City captain Elijah Lespoir won a penalty as he pounced on Julie’s filtered pass and he was bundled over by two Au Cap defenders in the penalty area and referee Kerens Yocette, who was on top of his game, quite rightly pointed to the spot for a penalty.

The match though was held up for three minutes due to an injury to Au Cap defender Jemmy Volcy who was carried off but coach Roger Labonte could not replace him as he had already made three substitutions so they had to face the penalty and the remaining minutes with 10 men.

Maillet added to their troubles when play resumed as he assumed responsibility for the spot kick and stabbed the ball low past goalkeeper Legaie for a 3-1 final score for this newly promoted team’s first league win which lifts them to 11th position while Au Cap drop down to bottom of the standings and their club president Nichol Dogley was not pleased with his team’s showing in this must-win match.

“These are matches that we must win and we started well but then lost our way and gave away goals to give our opponents the confidence and now it is going to be tough in our position even though it is still early in the league race where this defeat has pushed us to the foot of the table,” the Au Cap club president told Sports NATION.

As for City manager Chanel Monthy, he was relieved that his team have managed to win after losing their five opening matches in the league.

“We had a tough match last week but today the players were determined to fight for a win and they battled hard and deserved the points which will boost morale in our camp ahead of another tough match against Red Star Defence Forces next week,” the City manager related to Sports NATION.



R. J-L.

More news