Honouring mothers every day |10 May 2021
Yesterday, Sunday May 9, 2021 marked Mother’s Day for those who observe the United States version, and if you are among those who believe that the loving mothers in your lives should be celebrated every day, you may be left wondering how you can continue to honour them in special ways, while currently having to spend a lot more time indoors. Below we have thought of a few ideas and you can take heart that they will find joy in feeling appreciated and loved.
Serve breakfast in bed
Let her sleep in sometimes if she is usually up early doing chores for example, and then surprise her with breakfast in bed. Lay out a tray with a small vase of flowers, some freshly squeezed fruit juice, her favourite cup of tea or coffee, and something healthy but tasty to eat.
Not too long ago, we learnt about ‘Shakshuka’ – a dish that originates in North Africa and eaten at breakfast in Middle Eastern countries and we have a delicious recipe for this for you below:
- 2 tablespoons, olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon, ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. tomatoes, halved if large
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup baby spinach or other leafy green, finely chopped
- Toasted baguette, for serving
- Heat oven to 204°C; heat oil in large oven-safe skillet on medium. Add onion and sauté until golden brown and tender, 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, transfer to oven and roast 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, stir, then make 8 small wells in vegetable mixture and carefully crack 1 egg into each. Bake eggs to desired doneness, 7 to 8 minutes for slightly runny yolks. Sprinkle with spinach or other leafy green and, if desired, serve with toast.
Have a picnic in your garden
If you usually have all your family meals indoors, enjoying some food and drinks outside in the garden with her can make for a good change for everyone at home. Weather permitting, you’ll be able to enjoy nature, get some fresh air and enjoy a little sunshine.
Lay a large blanket on the grass outside in a shaded spot of your garden, and cover it with some picnic-ready snacks like salads, deviled eggs, skewers, kebabs, corn on the cob, sandwiches, fresh fruit juices, fruit salad, cake and cookies.
Photo source: Artificial Grass Direct
Do something new and fun together
Look up an online class that you know she will enjoy; YouTube has a wide variety of classes and tutorials which will give you something fun to do while you bond and make special memories. See what tools / equipment you will need, make a list and get these from the local shops so you’re prepared when you do the actual class.
We can think of a few types of online classes that she might enjoy: flower arranging, drawing and painting, knitting, gardening, knitting, colour and pattern interior design, cake decorating and jewellery-making.
Photo source: All Events in City
“Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever”
- Author unknown